Aug 20, 2019
It’s time to start back up with a new year of Girl Scouting!
Whether you meet year round or break for summer, the Girl Scout
membership rolls over every fall. This is the perfect time to
organize a face-to-face parent and guardian meeting!
Wondering what the heck you should cover in your beginning of
the year parents meeting? This should help!
Why do a back to school parents meeting?
- Talk about what’s coming up for the year
- Get volunteer commitments (and even adult registrations!)
- Snack signups
- Paperwork – get all the permission slips and health history
- An opportunity to talk about Girl Scouts and GSLE and use all
the terminology and buzzwords so they can get familiar with it
- Expectations both ways – set your expectations about money and
uniforms and attendance, and also find out what their expectations
What should you cover at a back to school parents meeting?
- Introduce Leaders / New Leaders
- K-12 DBJCSA, 4 pillars, 5 outcomes
- Meetings date, location, times, and structure
- Troop funds – fall product, cookies, other fundraisers, level
- Uniform Expectations & Purchase Lists
- Forms & Adult Registration
- Troop Communications
- Dates for the Year
Here is a list of handouts:
- General Permission + Health History Forms (council
- Adult Health History Forms (council specific)
- Product Program Permission Forms (council specific)
- Chaperone Agreements (council specific)
- Welcome Back Form Surveys (download ours here)
- Welcome to Girl Scouts (download ours here)
- Troop Funds (description of how we raise funds, how much we
make per item sold during product program, and anything else about
managing troop finances)
Uniform Diagrams & Purchase Lists
- 1 Pg Preview of Calendar/Dates (meetings and events, even if
the dates are marked as tentative)
Need a refresher on GSLE and managing troop finances?
Troop Finances: http://girlscoutpodcast.com/year-planning-for-girl-scout-troop-leaders-phase-6-developing-a-budget
GSLE Overview: http://girlscoutpodcast.com/012-gsle-and-the-cookie-program-cookie-cast-part-1
GSLE Part 2: http://girlscoutpodcast.com/015-gsle-outcomes-and-progression-put-the-outcomes-in-to-practice
Listening on your computer? Click Here.
Don’t forget to hit subscribe in whatever app you most like
listening to podcasts!
Find us on Facebook: